Meet the massage chair that doesn’t discriminate against big and tall people – the Kahuna SM-7300 Massage Chair can give you an excellent massage even if you’re over six feet tall, and it’s designed for weights up to 320 pounds.
And there’s more good news. It’s made to comfortably accommodate people of varying sizes, so it works for smaller, shorter people too.
If you’re looking to please everyone in your household but don’t have the budget or the space for several massage chairs (who does?!), read on to discover why this Kahuna might be the perfect choice for you.
- Zero Gravity Recline with One-Touch Positioning
- Suitable for Heights up to 6’5″
- Maximum Load Weight 320 pounds
- SL-Track with 6 Rollers System
- Body Scan Technology
- 9 Automatic Programs
- 5 Massage Techniques with 3 Speed Levels
- 5 Pressure Levels for Airbags
- Heated Lower Back Area
- Space Saver – requires only 3″ distance from wall
- Removable Leg Extension Covering
- Available in Black or Dark Brown/Black
- 2 Year Limited Warranty
Unlike many other chairs, this one does not offer 3 zero gravity positions. Instead, you touch one button and the chair automatically reclines to what is touted as “the perfect” zero gravity position. It’s engineered to slide slightly forward as it reclines so you need only about 3 inches between the back of the chair and the wall.
Saving a little space is a plus because this is a big chair. It measures 55″L x 32″W x 48″H and weighs approximately 238 pounds.
What Makes the Kahuna SM-7300 Unique?
As already mentioned, a top selling point of this model is that it’s one of the few massage chairs suitable for those who are over six feet tall. It can also handle weights up to 320 pounds, with a seat width of 21″ and shoulder area that measures 24″ wide.
For comparison, the average massage chair usually has a weight limit of around 220 pounds and is not a good fit for anyone over 6 feet tall.
Research did turn up one complaint from a male user who said that at 6’4″ and 290 pounds he is unable to get a good calf massage in this chair. Duly noted, but in contrast numerous other consumers made a point to report that as the company claims, the chair is designed in such a way that it can work equally well for various weights and heights.
Another outstanding feature of this chair is its track & roller system. Competitors in this price range all have an L-shaped track with 4 rollers. That generally does an excellent job, but Kahuna took it a step further, adding length to the track for head-to-thigh coverage, plus 2 extra rollers for precision control that creates an even better massage experience.
Just this year (2018) Kahuna upgraded the SM-7300 model to include Triple Hip airbags and a new remote control. The original remote garnered lots of complaints from users, and apparently the company was listening because the new design is much more user friendly. (If you’re curious you can see it in the owner manual.)
Also unique to this model is the zippered leg extension cover, which is a big plus because you know the foot area is going to get dirty over time. This cover is designed for easy removal so you can clean it or, eventually, replace it.
Watch the short video below for a quick look at some of this chair’s great features. (It does have sound, but it’s nice, peaceful music.)
Kahuna gives you complete control over your massage experience with a full range of manual options. When you select manual massage, you can then select settings for mode, position, width, and speed.
- Massage modes include kneading, tapping, knocking, combination kneading & tapping, and Shiatsu.
- Position options let you choose between overall, partial, and fixed point massage.
- Width adjustment applies to back and can be set to narrow, middle, or wide.
- Speed settings are low, middle, or high.
In addition, there are 5 intensity levels for the air bags, and in manual mode you can use the remote to further adjust a fixed point massage.
The selection of pre-set programs and modes is also outstanding:
- Yoga Stretching works for either warm up before a more vigorous massage, or for muscle stress relief when your body is tired.
- Fast Recovery is based on sports massage therapy and designed for muscle recovery.
- Pain Relief uses multiple techniques to target and relieve muscle aches.
- Relaxation is exactly that, a softer, gentler massage aimed at rapid muscle relaxation.
- Athlete works on recovery of muscles that are sore and/or tense.
- Office Person Mode is for those of us who sit at a desk all day, and it focuses on tense, strained, neck and shoulder muscles.
- Golfer Mode concentrates on the muscles in your lower back, hips, and legs.
- Dynamic Sport is a mode that provides an invigorating, full-body massage for any time you want to feel refreshed and renewed.
- Senior Mode gives a more gentle massage than the other programs and is designed for overall body comfort.
What Are Customers Saying?
Feedback on this chair is overwhelmingly positive. The few complaints are minor, nothing you’re likely to consider a deal breaker, but let’s cover them first just in case.
This Kahuna gives you a very vigorous massage, and a few claim that even in “Senior Mode” it is too much for them. If you are frail, or if you just don’t like heavy pressure, this may not be the chair for you.
In fact, a lot of the owners who absolutely love this chair will tell you that the foot massage can be a bit on the rough side, especially on bare feet. None of them consider it a big deal because it’s easily solved. Some mention wearing thick socks, but in at least one case, the company shipped out additional padding for the foot area.
One interesting complaint, from a few people, is that once massage program ends, the chair remains in its reclined position. You then have to use the remote to turn the chair on again and return to a sitting position so you can get out of it. But wait, there’s a reason for that!
Think about what will happen if you fall asleep during your massage. The chair doesn’t return to a sitting position to keep from waking you. Instead, it remains in the reclined position to let you to finish your nap, or to rest there until you’re ready to return to a sitting position and exit. So, this isn’t a drawback. It’s a feature!
Otherwise the consumer feedback is almost all good. At this writing there were approximately 100 online reviews, and only 6 of those folks rated this chair with fewer than 4 stars. Overall, this Kahuna model has a 4.5 average consumer rating.
All indications are that customer service is excellent. There is plenty of evidence of that in the way the company monitors online reviews and responds. Those who have needed to contact customer service report being pleased with the whole experience. Response time was reasonably fast, and staff were polite and able to resolve issues.
Pros & Cons
- Suitable for users up to 6’5″ and 320 pounds
- Extended length L-Track system with 6 rollers
- Zero Gravity positioning
- Full range of settings options for complete control of massage experience
- Includes 9 automatic programs designed for specific needs and purposes
- Positive feedback on customer service
- Only 1 zero gravity massage position
- Heat in low back area only
- Massage pressure not suitable for frail or sensitive users
- Foot massage can be uncomfortable, may require extra padding
Summing It Up
Is This Chair Right For You?
It’s hard to go wrong with the Kahuna SM-7300. This zero gravity, full-body massage chair is loaded with features and gives you a wide range of choices in both manual settings and automatic programs. It’s made by an established company with a reputation for good customer service and is highly rated by owners. All in all, you get great value in a mid-price range chair.
This model is a very good choice for anyone who prefers a vigorous massage, and it’s one of the few massage chairs on the market that is designed to accommodate people over 6 feet tall.